YETI Recalls 2 Million Products Due to Health Risk
YETI, a maker of coolers and other outdoor gear, has recalled nearly two million of its soft-sided coolers and gear cases due to a serious health risk. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warned that the products, which include the Hopper M30 Soft Cooler 1.0 and 2.0, Hopper M20 Soft Backpack Cooler, and SideKick Dry Gear Case, contain high-powered magnets that, if ingested, can cause injury or even death.
The CPSC has received 1,399 reports of the magnet-lined closures degrading or failing, including reports of missing or detached magnets. So far, no magnet ingestions or injuries have been reported. The products were sold from March 2018 to January 2023 in multiple colors, with the brand name displayed prominently on the front of the products. The SideKick Dry Gear Case sold for about $50, while the Hopper M20 Backpack Cooler sold for $325, and the Hopper M30 Soft Cooler 1.0 and 2.0 solder for between $300 and $350.
If two or more magnets of high power are ingested, they can be drawn to each other or to any other metal object in the digestive system, thus becoming stuck. Consequences of this can include perforation, twisting, blockage, and infection of the intestines, as well as blood poisoning and death.
YETI urges consumers to discontinue use of the recalled products and contact them for a full refund or replacement product. Go to www.yeti.com to find out how to return your product without any cost. You can choose a replacement product of the same or higher value or get a full refund as a YETI gift card with an extra $25.
For more information, consumers can contact YETI toll-free at 833-444-3151 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT Monday through Sunday, or email email@example.com. They can also go to Yeti's website dedicated to the recall.
0. “YETI recalls 1.9 million coolers and gear over deadly hazard” NBC2 News, 9 Mar. 2023, https://nbc-2.com/news/health/2023/03/09/yeti-recalls-1-9-million-coolers-and-gear-over-deadly-hazard/
1. “Yeti cooler recall: 1.9 soft coolers and cases recalled over magnet ingestion hazard” CBS News, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/yeti-recall-soft-cooler-bag-magnet-hazard/
2. “Yeti coolers and gear cases recalled over magnets” The Boston Globe, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/03/09/business/coolers-gear-cases-recalled-over-magnets/
3. “Yeti recalls coolers and gear cases due to magnet ingestion hazard” MPR News, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/03/09/npr-yeti-recalls-coolers-backpacks-gear-cases-magnet-ingestion-hazard
4. “Recall alert: Yeti recalls 1.9M soft coolers, gear cases” Boston 25 News, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.boston25news.com/news/trending/recall-alert-yeti-recalls-19m-soft-coolers-gear-cases/A7VY2BUU55BDVPDMOSYP7A47VI
5. “YETI Recalls More Than 2 Million Coolers Over Risk of ‘Serious Injury or Death'” GearJunkie, 9 Mar. 2023, https://gearjunkie.com/news/yeti-m-series-hopper-cooler-recall
6. “Yeti recalls nearly 2 million soft coolers and gear cases over possible magnet detachment” USA TODAY, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/03/09/yeti-recall-coolers-gear-cases/11435650002
7. “YETI Issues Massive Product Recall” Fishing Tackle Retailer, 10 Mar. 2023, https://fishingtackleretailer.com/yeti-issues-massive-product-recall/
8. “YETI coolers recalled over injury risk” WGN TV Chicago, 9 Mar. 2023, https://wgntv.com/news/recalls/yeti-coolers-recalled-over-injury-risk
9. “Yeti recalls 1.9M coolers and cases due to danger of swallowing magnets” MassLive.com, 10 Mar. 2023, https://www.masslive.com/news/2023/03/yeti-recalls-19m-coolers-and-cases-due-to-danger-of-swallowing-magnets.html