Data Shows People Want to Delete Instagram More than Any Other App
It seems like people are done with Instagram and Facebook and are looking to delete their accounts from the Meta-owned platforms. VPNOverview, a cyber security website, recently released data that showed a considerable increase in searches for terms such as ‘deactivate Facebook' and ‘deactivate Instagram.' The analysis of search trends for the top 30 most popular apps showed that Americans wanted to delete Instagram far more than any other app.
Apps like Instagram survive on mobile ad revenue and heavily depend on tracking. Apple's new update gives users more control and allows them to stop apps from tracking their moves on the device through the Cupertino-based tech giant's privacy features in Settings.
If someone wishes to terminate their relationship with Instagram, they have two options. They have the option to make a permanent change by deleting their Instagram account forever with no chance of returning, or they can temporarily deactivate their account. A user has the option of returning at a later date.
Overall, the data showed that Instagram had the highest search volume with 900,120 searches coast-to-coast. Facebook was second with 385,410 search requests related to finding out how one would get rid of the app on a phone or tablet. Snapchat had 217,400 searches, Twitter had 92,490, and Telegram had 24,819. TikTok had a “marginal delete search” with just over 14,000 searches.
It is clear that people want to delete Instagram & Facebook – or deactivate their accounts, but it might not help. It's important to remember that these apps are popular and are on most people’s phones. One app has been particularly targeted by people who wish to delete it from their phones, for a variety of reasons. Now we know which one that is.
0. “People just want to delete Instagram & Facebook – or deactivate their account, but it might not help” Economic Times, 9 Mar. 2023, https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/people-just-want-to-delete-instagram-facebook-or-deactivate-it-but-it-might-not-help/articleshow/98512465.cms
1. “This Is The App Americans Want To Delete Most” kiss951.com, 9 Mar. 2023, https://kiss951.com/2023/03/09/this-is-the-app-americans-want-to-delete-most/
2. “Americans want to delete THIS social media app from their phones & it`s not TikTok” WION, 10 Mar. 2023, https://www.wionews.com/trending/americans-want-to-delete-this-social-media-app-from-their-phones-its-not-tiktok-570486
3. “This is the app that Americans want to delete more than any other, even Facebook” USA TODAY, 10 Mar. 2023, https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2023/03/09/instagram-facebook-apps-delete/11439610002/
4. “Americans are desperate to remove this popular app from their phones and tablets” PhoneArena, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.phonearena.com/news/top-ten-hated-apps-us_id145968
5. “Why does everyone want to delete their Instagram account?” Mashable, 8 Mar. 2023, https://mashable.com/article/we-all-want-to-delete-instagram