Get Ready for Auto Shanghai 2023: A Preview of What’s to Come
The 20th Shanghai International Automobile Industry Exhibition, also known as Auto Shanghai 2023, will take place from April 18 to April 27 at the National Exhibition and Convention Center in Shanghai. The biennial event is the first A-class international auto show to be held in China since the country optimized its COVID-19 response. This exhibition is Asia's largest auto show, attracting around 1,000 carmakers and parts manufacturers from 20 countries and regions.
Tesla, which has a large electric vehicle factory in Shanghai, has attended the show in past years but will not be present at this year's event, according to plans published by the organizer. In 2021, the company's stage at the auto show made headlines when an unhappy customer climbed atop a Tesla being displayed to protest its handling of her complaints about malfunctioning brakes.
Meanwhile, NIO Inc will debut its electric all-round SUV ES6 and launch the 2023 Nio ET7 at the Shanghai Auto Show. In addition to the debut of the all-new ES6, which NIO calls a smart electric all-round SUV, there will be much more to take in. As part of the upcoming show, NIO announced that the official launch of the 2023 ET7 electric flagship sedan will take place.
BYD, a Chinese car manufacturer, is gearing up to reveal a new electric SUV at the Shanghai Auto Show. The company teased this upcoming launch through a shadowy image posted on its various social media platforms. The SUV, which is currently unnamed, will belong to the Dynasty line and will be equipped with an entirely electric power system. Anticipated to enter the expanding electric SUV arena, the model is poised to pose a significant challenge to other well-established contenders in the category.
Smart, the minicar brand, is also set to make its world debut on April 18 at the 2023 Shanghai auto show with its second model, the #3, which judging from teaser material will be a coupe-like version of the #1. The rebooted Smart is likely to share its mechanicals with the #1, including a shortened version of Geely’s SEA modular electric-vehicle platform, which offers support for fast-charging and over-the-air updates.
As per the agenda, media days are allocated on April 18 and 19, and professionals from the automotive sector can participate on April 20 and 21. From April 22 to 27, the show will be open to the public. The Shanghai Auto Show comes as an EV price war roils China, with both auto stalwarts and startups slashing prices to prop up demand.
0. “Nissan's All-Electric Convertible Concept and New EVs Set for China Debut at Auto Shanghai 2023” The EV Report, 10 Apr. 2023, https://theevreport.com/nissans-all-electric-convertible-concept-and-new-evs-set-for-china-debut-at-auto-shanghai-2023
1. “Smart #3 coupe-like crossover to debut at Shanghai auto show” Motor Authority, 7 Apr. 2023, https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1139294_smart-3-coupe-like-crossover-to-debut-at-shanghai-auto-show
2. “Organizer plans show Tesla skipping Shanghai autoshow By Investing.com” Investing.com, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/organizer-plans-show-tesla-skipping-shanghai-autoshow-432SI-3055930
3. “Tesla skips Shanghai auto show” Automotive News, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.autonews.com/shanghai-auto-show/tesla-skips-shanghai-auto-show
4. “NIO To Debut All-New ES6 At The 2023 Shanghai Auto Show” InsideEVs , 13 Apr. 2023, https://insideevs.com/news/662181/nio-reveal-new-es6-ev-2023-shanghai-auto-show/
5. “BYD Teases New Electric SUV, Sends Strong Porsche Cayenne Coupe Vibes” CarScoops, 13 Apr. 2023, https://www.carscoops.com/2023/04/byd-teases-new-electric-suv-sends-strong-porsche-cayenne-coupe-vibes
6. “Smart #3 coupe-like crossover to debut at Shanghai Auto Show | ClassicCars.com Journal” The ClassicCars.com Journal, 8 Apr. 2023, https://journal.classiccars.com/2023/04/08/smart-3-coupe-like-crossover-to-debut-at-shanghai-auto-show
7. “Auto Shanghai 2023 to be held in late April” China Daily, 13 Apr. 2023, https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202304/13/WS6437952aa31057c47ebb9f0c.html
8. “The Most Hotly Awaited EVs Coming To Shanghai Auto Show” Investor's Business Daily, 13 Apr. 2023, https://www.investors.com/news/hot-new-evs-launching-shanghai-auto-show/