Ford Recalls 1.3 Million Fusion and Lincoln MKZ Sedans for Brake Hose Leaks
Ford is recalling nearly 1.3 million of its 2013-2018 Fusion and Lincoln MKZ sedans in North America due to a front brake hose that could rupture and leak brake fluid, potentially affecting stopping ability and increasing the risk of a crash. The recall covers 1,280,726 sedans in the US, 66,000 vehicles in Canada, and 18,000 vehicles in Mexico.
The brakes can suffer from a leak due to normal wear and tear associated with its interaction with suspension and steering hardware. This could cause a progressive brake fluid leak which could lead to an increase in pedal travel together with a reduction in the rate of deceleration. In the event of a leak, a brake fluid warning light may illuminate on the dashboard.
Ford has submitted a recall notification letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for approval. Once approved, letters will be mailed to owners of the affected vehicles outlining the appropriate steps to take for repair. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that letters will be sent out Dealers will replace the front brake hoses, free of charge.
In addition to the Fusion and MKZ recall, Ford is also recalling about 280,000 F-150 pickups globally from the 2021 model year due to a faulty windshield wiper motor and 488,000 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKZ crossovers for a similar brake hose issue.
Owners can contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332 and ask about recall 23S12, or contact the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236. Affected owners can expect to receive instructions by mail between April 17 and April 28 to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer for free hose replacement.
0. “Ford Recalls 1.3 Million Fusions and MKZs, Again, For Brake Defect” Jalopnik, 16 Mar. 2023, https://jalopnik.com/ford-fusion-lincoln-mkz-brake-hose-leak-recall-nhtsa-1850232518
1. “Recall issued for over 1 million Ford Fusions and Lincoln MKZs over potential brake fluid leak” CBS News, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-recall-fusion-and-lincoln-mkz-brake-fluid-hose-leak-risk-of-accident
2. “Recall alert: Ford recalls more than 1 million vehicles over brake fluid hose issue” WHIO, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.whio.com/news/trending/recall-alert-ford-recalls-more-than-1-million-vehicles-over-brake-fluid-hose-issue/US5B52VQPVCJHEVIS2S2PZCRNI/
3. “1 Million Fords and Lincolns Recalled Due To Break Fluid Leaks” Fatherly, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.fatherly.com/news/fords-lincolns-recalled-brake-fluid-issue
4. “Ford recalls more than 1 million cars over brake fluid issue” New York Daily News, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-ford-recall-mllion-cars-brake-fluid-issue-20230317-lqfctxclqfe6nouqz4op2i54vi-story.html
5. “Ford recalling over 1 million cars over brake hose issue” KTRK-TV, 16 Mar. 2023, https://abc13.com/ford-recalling-over-1-million-cars-over-brake-hose-issue/12964188/