Ford Recall: 1.2 Million Vehicles Affected by Brake Fluid Hose Defect
Ford is recalling more than 1.2 million vehicles due to a defect with their brake fluid hoses. The recall affects select 2013-2018 Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ models produced from February 3rd, 2012, through July 19th, 2017. According to documents from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), front brake hoses may rupture, an issue leading to the recall.
The problem lies in the brake hoses connecting the metal brake line to the brake caliper. According to the NHTSA, these hoses can bend and, with time, can start to leak or even burst, impeding the car's capacity to slow or halt. The leak can reduce the brake pedal’s responsiveness and slow deceleration, increasing the risk of crash.
Drivers of cars that have a leak may find that the brake pedal depresses more deeply beneath their feet, along with a slower rate of deceleration, thus increasing the risk of a crash. The NHTSA said a brake fluid warning light may also illuminate on the dashboard if a leak is detected.
Ford said it was aware of one accident related to the issue, but knew of no injuries. The Detroit-based car maker is now recalling the affected vehicles and replacing the faulty brake hoses free of charge. Owners are anticipated to receive letters notifying them of the safety risk on April 17.
On April 17th, 2023, owners should expect to hear from Ford. This recall is denoted by the Ford reference number 23S12. They should bring their car to the dealership, where they will be able to have the broken brake hoses replaced at no cost. Those who have already paid for the repair from their own funds are eligible for reimbursement. If you have questions about recall 23S12, you can call Ford at 1-866-436-7332, or contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at 1
0. “Ford recalls 1.5 million vehicles for brake hose and windshield wiper issues” NPR, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.npr.org/2023/03/17/1164287038/ford-recalls-fusion-mkz-f150
1. “Ford Fusion & Lincoln MKZ's Are Being Recalled Because of Brakes” News Talk 96.5 KPEL, 17 Mar. 2023, https://kpel965.com/1-3-million-cars-are-being-recalled-due-to-brake-issues
2. “1 Million Fords and Lincolns Recalled Due To Break Fluid Leaks” Fatherly, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.fatherly.com/news/fords-lincolns-recalled-brake-fluid-issue
3. “Ford Recalls 1.3 Million Fusions and MKZs, Again, For Brake Defect” Jalopnik, 16 Mar. 2023, https://jalopnik.com/ford-fusion-lincoln-mkz-brake-hose-leak-recall-nhtsa-1850232518
4. “Ford recalls Focus, Lincoln MKZ cars over brake fluid issue” USA TODAY, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2023/03/16/ford-focus-lincoln-mkz-brake-recall/11484480002/
5. “Ford recall for front brake hose issue impacts 1.2 million vehicles” WPTZ, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.mynbc5.com/article/ford-recall-front-brake-hose-issue/43342118
6. “Ford Fusion, Lincoln MKZ Recalled Over Brake Hose Issue” Ford Authority, 16 Mar. 2023, https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/ford-fusion-lincoln-mkz-recalled-over-brake-hose-issue/
7. “Braking Bad: Ford Recalls 1.3 Million Fusions And MKZ Sedans” CarScoops, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.carscoops.com/2023/03/braking-bad-ford-recalls-1-3-million-fusions-and-mkz-sedans
8. “Ford recalling over 1 million cars over brake hose issue” WABC-TV, 17 Mar. 2023, https://abc7ny.com/ford-recall-brake-fluid-hose-fusions-lincoln-mkz/12967129/